UNESCO has just launched an online space for various actors to post recommendations and proposals on how to implement the various action lines of the WSIS Plan of Action. Basically it’s a discussion board, which I suppose I should be excited about.
What’s interesting is see what areas of the WSIS agenda UNESCO sees itself as being the coordinator of. These include:
- Action Line C3: Access to information and knowledge
- Action Line C7: E-learning
- Action Line C7: E-science
- Action Line C8: Cultural diversity and identity, linguistic diversity and local content
- Action Line C9: Media
- Action Line C10: Ethical dimensions of the Information Society
"Media" is most directly relevant for me, although the other areas are also key concerns for civil society. It is good to see that UNESCO, as one of the more "open" international institutions, is going to be the facilitator of implementation of these issue areas.