I got an invite to the official opening of the Info Island Second Life Library, a project I have been watching develop for the past six months with great interest. Those librarians have a whole weekend full of activities planned from October 12-14, from panel discussions to scary movies, a costume ball, a beach party, to a bioterrorism demonstration! You can see the complete invitation and program after the jump. If you haven’t been in awhile, Info Island has really blossomed into an incredible campus of libraries and information resources about both the virtual world and the real one.
I got so excited, I created a little video of me touring the island. Not only is it a great place to visit, it’s a cool place to practice your skating. Thanks to Torley Linden, for awesome "free as in beer" music. (This is a higher res version you can download.)
Alliance Library System and Second Life Library/Info Island Pleased to Announce Official Opening
The Alliance Library System and the Second Life Library/Info Island collaborative group of librarians are pleased to announce the grand opening and a host of activities planned for Second Life residents scheduled October 12-14, 2006. All events will be held in Second Life and are free to residents.
“We have been working on this project with partners from around the world for six months,” stated Kitty Pope, Executive Director of the Alliance Library System. “We are grateful to all the librarians and others who have put in huge amounts of time to make this happen and we are pleased with the reception the library has received in Second Life.”
Gonzo Mandelbrot, Coordinator of Grand Opening Activities said, “We have a variety of activities, events and tours that people can pick and choose from or they may attend everything. The goal is to highlight all the different aspects of the library and Info Island and all that is available there.”
A detailed schedule of events is provided below. If attendees have questions about specific locations, come to Info Island. We will have tour guides there who can show people to the event location.
Thursday, October 12
- Virtual Worlds and Education: The Cutting Edge – 4 pm sl – 6 pm sl – Speakers: Pathfinder Linden, Kitty Paul, Puglet Dancer, Professor Boliveau, Lorelei Junot and Maxito Ricardo – Puglet Dancer and Kitty Paul will cut the ribbon to begin grand opening ceremonies at Info Island open air auditorium (Info Island 143, 82, 34)
Friday, October 13
- Virtual Worlds and Alternate Realities – Where Do Libraries Fit In? – 7:30 a.m. sl – 1:30 pm. sl – A variety of wonderful speakers with keynote by Pathfinder Linden – Info Island open air auditorium(Info Island 143, 82, 34) The url for voice/audio is the OPAL Auditorium at http://184.108.40.206/v4/login.asp?r=67955673&p=0. Type your name, click enter to go into the room. Minimize this and maximize Second Life. You should be able to hear the audio through your pc. If you do not have audio capabilities we will provide text chat.
- 5:00-6:00 p.m. sl – Scary Movies at Second Life Pantheon Picture House (Info Island II, 98,71,24)
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. sl – Costume Ball at Info Island Mystery Manor – prizes for best costumes! (Info Island, 214, 163,33)
Saturday October 14
- 8:00 a.m. sl – Opening of Caledon Branch – 19th century library (Caledon Tamrannoch (211,31,22)
- 9:30 a.m. sl – Grand Opening of Second Life Library Medical Library – special events (Info Island 165, 204, 33) – Bioterrorism demonstration. Speakers: Moriz Gupta and Sojourner Truth
- 12:00 p.m. sl – Second Ribbon Cutting and special speaker – Info island Open Air Auditorium (Info Island 143, 82, 34) – Katt Kongo, editor, Metaverse Messenger
- 3:00 p.m. sl – Talis SciFi & Fantasy Portal Opening – special events (Info Island 29, 62, 33)
- 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. sl – TX950 Beach party and celebration – dancing refreshments, fun (Info Island 85, 33, 23)
- Throughout the day – Tours, scavenger hunts, information kiosks – come and have fun!
For further information, please contact Gonzo Mandelbrot or Lorelei Junot.