The last night of the National Conference on Media Reform featured a star-studded series of short speeches by:
- Congressman Ed Markey (D-Mass.)
- Geena Davis, actress and founder, See Jane
- Ben Bagdikian, author, The Media Monopoly
- Ben Hooks, former executive director, NAACP
- Rev. Lennox Yearwood, Hip-Hop Caucus
- Deepa Fernandes, WBAI and Radio Rootz
- Erubiel Valladares Carranza, KPCN-LP
- Robert W. McChesney, Free Press
Then the local Memphis band the Bar-kays revved up the crowd with kickin funk music that got folks on their feet and dancing. At a certain point the lead singer brought out an albino boa constrictor and put its head in his mouth, which was probably the second strangest thing I saw this weekend.
More pictures after the jump….
Congressman Ed Markey (D-Mass.) gets folks excited about the Net Neutrality fight.
Rev. Lennox Yearwood, Hip-Hop Caucus
Geena Davis, actress and founder, See Jane
Geena reveals the insidious plot of the Smurfs to teach kids that females are evil.
Lead singer of the Bar-kays in his silvery glory.