Find more videos like this on Midsummer Night Swing
One of the best parts of swinging in the summer in New York is dancing outdoors at Lincoln Center’s Midsummer Nights Swing concert series. This year’s series is much shorter than years past, but still sounds like a great lineup of bands (some more swingable than others). Tickets on the always packed dance floor are $15, or you can go for free and just dance on the pavement with the rest of the cheapo’s like me.
Here’s the obvious ones for getting your lindy on, as well as some others that I’m excited about:
- July 8: Nellie McKay & The Aristocrats Swing Band- friends tell me Nellie is a really amazing jazz vocalist
- July 9: Chuck Brown – funk and soul! Hell ya, I’m there!
- July 10: Michael Arenella & His Dreamland Orchestra – amazing 1920’s era vintage-y music
- July 15: Alan Gresik Swing Shift Orchestra
- July 18: Jeannie Hopper’s Liquid Sound Lounge with Jay Rodriguez
- July 22: Harlem Renaissance Orchestra with special guest Mary Stallings- HRO swings it hard and funky
- July 24: Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers – one of my favorite bands that busted out in the neoswing era in the 90s and still kicks ass!