Is there a special b-girl or b-boy that you know that you can't think of what to get for the holidays? What present can you get for your favorite headspinner and toprocker and he or she will really love? Here's some ideas:
- "Planet B-boy" a loving and riveting tribute by director Benson Lee to b-boying as a worldwide phenomenon
- "Battle of the Year": footage from this annual international b-boy battle covered in "Planet B-boy"
- "Wild Style" the first movie about hip-hop culture filmed in 1982, including the original Rock Steady Crew. Alternatives: "Beat Street" or "Krush Groove."
More gift ideas after the jump…
B-boys typically bust out in a variety of gear, from 80s style track suits to shorts and tees. That said, here are some fun clothing ideas:
- "How to Breakdance" tee from Threadless
- Kid Robot hoodie : lots of funky styles to pick from
- Old skool sneakers from Classic Kicks. Here's the pair I got there.
Music for a b-boy is very individual. You can't just get any hip-hop CD and expect it to be appropriate for b-boying.
- Rock Steady Crew 30th Anniversary CD: A mix of some of the best old skool breakbeats and songs that every b-boy should know. Purchase from Amazon .
- "Street Dance 2009": I just got this album of mixes just for b-boying by DJ Tub Funk from iTunes. Just $8 for 43 tracks of b-boying goodness!
- Breaks CD: Just the breaks please! Various break mixes for rocking the dancefloor from bboyworldshop.com.
- Flip Ultra Videocam: B-boys and b-girls are all about the YouTube's these days, watching footage from the latest battles and the sickest moves. A Flip cam will help him or her to record and upload their own cyphers and battles for the world to see.
- Old Skool / New Skool Boombox: Cause you can't rock the cypher without music. Get one that supports iPods / iPhones and other portable music players, like this one. Just $143 on Amazon.com.
What NOT to buy:
- How to Breakdance DVD: Breaking is a pretty dangerous pursuit, that should be ideally explored with a good teacher or crew that can help you learn it safely. Instructional DVDs might help you to develop your skills after you've got some fundamentals down. But for a rank beginner, a DVD is probably a mistake.
- B-boy Dancewear: 'nuff said.
- "Breakin II: Electric Boogaloo": Only for your most ironic gift ever for a b-boy.
- Breakin Soap: Seriously? Actually on second thought, this is pretty awesome.
I hope this helps you to show some love this holiday season to all the freshest kids you know!