Friends Eden and David on the banner of the
Midsummer Nights Swing website!
I can hardly believe it, but this Saturday is already the final night of Midsummer Nights Swing for 2010! This year, Lincoln Center organized an amazing line-up of bands and dances for their annual Midsummer Nights Swing festival.
Lots of standout nights for me this year:
- The Battle of Bands with George Gee
and Bill Elliot Swing Orchestras was amazing!
- The New Orleans Moonshiners — 1st time out of Louisiana — brought the NOLA swing to NYC
- The Wycliffe Gordon Sextet gave us an eclectic and contemporary take on swingin jazz
- Catherine Russell and her Hounds were a big treat for me, with her smooth voice and very danceable swing tunes that had us packing the dance floor
- Not to mention disco, bangra, salsa, merengue and tango!
But the big finale is this Saturday July 17, featuring a tribute to Illinois Jaquet by the incomparable Harlem Renaissance
Orchestra. Plus I'll be competing along with 19 other couples in a lindy hop dance contest in honor of legendary dancer Frankie Manning! And I just got the news from Margaret Batichiuk of NYSDS that there will be fabulous prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ranked couples:
First Prize : Two round-trip tickets on Amtrak's Acela Express anywhere on the NE
and 2 season passes for next year’s Midsummer Night Swing
Second Prize: 1 pair of Yankees tickets, one pair of Mets tickets and
one six pass for next year Midsummer Night Swing
Third Prize: One pair of tickets for one evening of their choice next
year at Midsummer Night Swing
Those are some fabulous prizes! See midsummernightswing.org for