Blogger Bookflaps came across this fantastic "Flappers Dictionary" from the July 1922 issue of Flapper Magazine. It's chock-a-block with choice flapper-isms.
Some of my faves:
- Apple Knocker : A hick; a hay-shaker.
- Barlow: A girl, a flapper, a chicken.
- Bank’s Closed: No petting allowed; no kisses.
- Barneymugging: Lovemaking.
- Brush Ape: Anyone from the sticks; a country Jake.
- Brooksy : Classy dresser
- Cellar Smeller : young man who always turns up where liquor is to be had without cost.
- Duck’s Quack : The best thing ever.
- Fire Extinguisher : A chaperone.
- Floorflusher : Inveterate dance hound.
- Hopper : Dancer.
- Petting Pantry : Movie.
- Whangdoodle : Jazz-band music.
What are your favorites? See the full list at Bookflaps.