I just realized I am already into the middle of week three of my work sabbatical! This is really the first day I have had completely schedule-free since I finished work at the Cal Academy.
So far it has been completely wonderful to have this time to take a break and take stock of things. Work is great, but it really cuts into your daytime activities. 😎
Here’s some of what I’ve been up to:
- Went on two hiking trips
- Did a week of urban dance classes
- Competed in a 2v2 dance battle
- Migrated my websites to a new, cheaper, more modern hosting platform
- Interviewed and then took myself out of the running for a director position with an edtech startup
- Got booked to moderate a community manager panel discussion
- Started a new lindy hop history project
I think that two months feels about right for sabbatical period. I think that’s enough time to get my house in order — psychologically, spiritually and practically speaking. And the fall feels like a good time to look more concretely for my next gig.
Right now, I am just feeling so blessed to be able to have this less structured time and not have to worry about finances. I have never really had this luxury before, and it’s so amazing.