Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the future virtual home of Yehoodi in Second Life (teleport SLURL) courtesy of Techsoup and Anshe Chung Studios. Once known as the "website for the hardcore hepcat swinger" we will now be known as the "3D immersive, community-based media environment for the hardcore hepcat swinger." Ok, not really.
For those who don’t know, Yehoodi is a community-based website that
since 1998 has been a vital information and communications hub for the
national, and increasingly international, swing and lindy hop
community. From our early days as an email list, to a fairly basic
website, to the rich multi-media content we now provide, going virtual
just seemed like the natural next step.
Techsoup has generously arranged for 30-40 non-profits to receive free in-world spaces for their activities, on the French Quarter-esque Plush Non-profit Commons.
I’m super excited about what we might do with this space. Some of our thoughts so far:
- Present historical video footage showing the roots of swing music and dancing
- Provide audio streams of our Yehoodi radio show, podcasts and interviews
- Host in-world discussions with notable dancers and swing musicians
- Co-sponsor in-world concerts by swing bands at different jazz venues in SL
- Provide links to documentation and websites on the historical foundations of swing as a living American artform
- Link up residents with local swing societies and venues in their town or city
If you have any of your own ideas, send them to me at email@example.com or comment here.