I’ve been helping coordinate a national campaign to get people to buy this amazing autobiography of a pioneering swing dancer entitled Frankie Manning: Ambassador of Lindy Hop on May 26 from Amazon.com. Saturday May 26 is Frankie Manning’s 93rd birthday, believe it or not. To celebrate, we are asking FoF (Friends of Frankie) everywhere to go to Amazon.com and purchase his book. We believe we can make The Ambassador of Lindy Hop a best-seller for the day.
Seriously, I just finished my advanced copy of the book and its a wonderful read, full of funny anecdotes, touching vignettes, historical context, and beautiful photos. You won’t be sorry you bought this book. But if that is not enough enticement, we are offering an amazing “Goodie Bag” of cool stuff for people who buy the book on that day, including:
- Exclusive, never-before released songs from Junior Mance, Barbara Morrison, George Gee, Ron Sunshine and Frank Foster
- Free admission to major swing venues in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Austin
- Discounts at several swing dance schools
That’s worth more than the book’s purchase price right there. After the jump you can see the complete list of cool stuff in the Goodie Bag…
Here’s all the cool stuff you get for buying Frankie’s book on his birthday:
- Junior Mance is donating Splanky from his very first gig for dancers from the Jelly Roll / Yehoodi event back in Jan 2003.
- Barbara Morrison is donating a song from the Yehoodi 5th Anniversary Party (with Junior’s Trio!)
- George Gee is donating his band’s version of "The Push", written by
- Ron Sunshine is donating a "special" version of "Natural Man"
(different from the one on his cd, Deluxe)
- Frank Foster is donating a new, unreleased version of one of
Frankie’s favorite song, Shiny Stockings!
Free Admission (bring in your printed Amazon receipt)
- Free admission to the Thursday, May 31st Frim Fram Jam at Club412, 412 Eighth Avenue, New York
- Free admission to the Thursday, May 31st 9:20 Special Dance in San Francisco, California
- Free admission to the Thursday, May 31st Swing Syndicate’s Dance at the Fed in Austin, Texas
- Free admission to the Thursday, May 31st LindyGroove in Los Angeles, California. LindyGroove is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) swing dances in the country.
Dance School Discounts
- Sandra Cameron Dance Center is offering a 15% discount on a class to anyone who brings in a receipt from Amazon that indicates they purchased the book on May 26th. The offer is good for one year. Here’s the studio information: www.sandracameron.com and main phone is (212) 431-1825
- You Should Be Dancing is offering 50% off any group class and 20% off any private lesson for anyone buying Frankie’s book on May 26th. There is no expiration date. www.youshouldbedancing.net; (212) 244-0011