Over the past three months, I’ve lost somewhere around 10-15 pounds. My doctor is very proud of me, and my girlfriend of five years said the other night that I’ve never looked better. Here’s the Rikomatic two-step plan for getting healthy and losing weight:
- Eat More Food
- Exercise More
There really isn’t much more to tell. Ok, there’s a little more…
1. Eat More, Eat Better
I follow a few simple guidelines, based on advice from my doctor:
- More frequent, but smaller meals. I don’t eat huge meals during the day or at night. All during the day I eat smaller meals and snacks that I keep stocked at work and at home. I try not to let my blood sugar get too low or go too long without eating something.
- Lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, meat, dairy, and nuts. I got to town on vegetables and meat, which is great. It does take more planning to make sure that I can have something healthy to eat whether its at 3PM in the middle of the workday or 1AM and I get the munchies.
- Very few carbohydrates and processed sugars. Cutting back on rice and noodles was a huge step for me. When I do eat grains, I try and make them whole grains. I’ve even decided that I like brown rice.
- Nothing “low fat” or “diet.” I enjoy full fat yogurt, full fat milk, chicken with the skin on, the works. (I gotta have Diet Coke, though.)
- Less processed foods. Basically I avoid anything out of a box or bag. I took to heart the advice from this NY Times article.
So nothing really draconian or difficult to remember. No counting points or measuring things. I still eat the occasional cookie or burger or milkshake. Just not every day.
Seriously, I feel the difference in my body. I have more energy, and I don’t ever feel hungry.
2. Exercise More
Several times a week I do something active, whether it’s breakdance class, going to the gym, riding my bike or lindy hopping.
The key for me was joining a gym. I’ve resisted going to the gym for years. But I finally decided to give it a go about a year ago, and it’s made a world of difference. It’s really great having an accessible, no hassle place to get some quick cardio or strength training exercise, even just for 30 minutes. Really, I wish I had done this ten years ago.
It doesn’t really matter what you do — power walking, swimming, salsa dancing — as long as you make a routine out of it. But a combination of cardiovascular and muscularly-engaged activities is best.
That’s really it. Nothing fancy, and probably will need some tweaking over the years. But for me, for now, its working.
10 thoughts on “Rik’s weight loss secret: eat more, exercise more”
yep, despite the billion dollar self-help/exercise fad/diet fad industry it really does boil down to the the simple formula of “Right Diet + Right Exercise”.
And neither of them are that complex to understand…it’s the discipline to stick with them that is the tricky bit.
Best investment for gym motivation is an mp3 player…but now I have to get a waterproof one for swimming;-(
Congratulations! I think the combination of right diet and exercise isn’t always as easy to keep up with.
And silly me was thinking it was just ‘moving sliders’. 😉
The tricky part is figuring what is that “right diet” and “right exercise” for you. Some people’s metabolisms can handle lots of red meat and carbs, others require more vegetables and fish. There’s no one-size-fits-all diet solution.
Same for exercise. Running works wonders for people who can do it as a regular regime. For me, running is mind-numbing and painful.
What you’re doing here is a modified Atkins diet (i.e. very low carbs). Eating carbs supposedly causes insulin levels to shoot up transiently, and one of the roles of insulin is to build-up fat… This also tempers appetite.
Great post,simply super.Taking perfect diet and doing exercises keep body fit.
Thanks for this post.
I came to this same realization that eat more, exercise more
Nice to see your post! I too advise people to follow some good diet plan. But generally people go for healthy foods but they overload their stomach. But my suggestion is, taking 4 meals a day at limited quantities, including all nutrients such as fat, carbs, and proteins is the best diet. Thank you!
I just came across your blog…. relly very nice info i found in your article…. Thanks for that, Keep Blogging.
Pretty well said..
hello buddy amazing information about Rik’s weight loss secret: eat more, exercise more thanks for collect and post this information