Like millions of others, I am shocked and horrified with what is happening in Burma / Myanmar. The nearly complete isolation of the small country makes it virtually impervious to outside public pressure, short of military invasion. I have long been an admirer of dissident Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi, back in 1999 when I first saw her give a "virtual address" to a peace conference I helped organize in the Hague.
I got news today that there are at least a couple of virtual demonstrations in Second Life tomorrow (September 29) in solidarity with the protesting Burmese:
Burma and Buddhists are being supressed… today the army has closed their internet connections and after all these years of violence they need some support from the rest of the world! From Saturday the 29th at 12.00 PM PDT until the end of the Burning Life Project October the 1th we will NON-STOP protest at at Burning Life Skylar (teleport SLURL.) Please feel free to join us at every hour of the day, take a Free Burma Tshirt and support the people of Burma.
For more info on this demonstration, IM Vivienne Casavettes (pictured above).
Sugar Seville also sends me news about another vigil:
Hundreds of Buddhist monks are
being arrested in government raids on monasteries in Myanmar (Burma)
after leading large protests against the military regime. Help show
support for these people by joining us in a vigil on Saturday 9/29 at
12 noon PDT on Odyssey (teleport SLURL).
No reason why there can’t be actions all over the grid, as well as all over the world!
Other steps you can take, suggested by the Peacemaker Institute:
- Protest – Look below for details of worldwide protests. Contact US Campaign for Burma to sign up to hold a march, vigil or any sort of event in your area- firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Spread the word – Invite your friends to this group, email all your family and friends, write to local newspapers
- Write to your elected official – they will respond if enough people contact them.
- Wear red clothes on Friday. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=18267307704
- Email the companies that still operate in Burma, their email addresses are listed here http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=24957770200&topic=3071
- Sign up for the petition! US campaign for Burma, Petition Online, AVAAZ
And, of course, pray to whatever dieties you hold dear for peace and justice for the people of Burma.