I just got the latest news from the organizers of the Frankie 95 Birthday Festival about the status of the Festival with the passing of Frankie last Monday. Among the highlights:
- The Festival is still on! It's what Frankie would have wanted.
- Registration has been re-opened now for anyone who wants to come to the full festival!
- There will be a special memorial service during the Festival open to the public (in addition the public funeral taking place on May 2)
- We're going to break a few world records for most couples dancing, largest Shim Sham, biggest gathering of lindy hoppers, etc.!
So if you were at all on the fence about whether or not you were coming to the festival, we hope this convinces you to come out!
T the complete message follows after the jump…
Dear Friends of Frankie,
Frankie Manning passed away Monday morning, April 27, in New York surrounded by his family and friends.
Frankie made it clear that if he didn’t make it to his birthday festival, he wanted everyone to celebrate his life rather than mourn his passing.
At the Frankie 95 Birthday Festival, May 21 – 25, we will be honoring Lindy Hop’s greatest ambassador. The Festival will allow the swing dance community to come together in Frankie’s hometown, the birthplace of Lindy Hop, to grieve, to heal and to celebrate his life in a way that will pay tribute to this extraordinary man.
As an inclusive community, we think that anyone who wants to be a part of this momentous occasion should be allowed the opportunity. We are reopening registration and encouraging everyone to make the journey to New York City for the greatest celebration of Frankie and the gift of his life.
In addition to reopening registration, we are making the following changes to the Festival:
– A memorial service will be held with details to be announced. Since many people will not be able to attend the memorial service Saturday, May 2nd, we are planning to hold a second service for the global community during the Festival. This service will be open to the public.
– In honor of Frankie, we are going to attempt to set the Guinness World Record for most couples dancing at once. This will take place Friday afternoon in Central Park, and is open to the public. On the same afternoon, we will set the world record for largest Shim Sham.
– We will take a photograph of the largest gathering of Lindy Hoppers ever.
– The sold out Frankie Show on Sunday will be a tribute to Frankie’s life and will be broadcasted via a live feed into the adjourning ballroom so that all Festival attendees can view it live. There may be a modest fee to defer the cost of setting up this live feed.
– There will be many other tributes to Frankie that are still being finalized.
We know you have many questions, so please click here to visit our FAQ: http://www.frankie95.com/faq.php
Please come to New York City to honor the man who did more for Lindy Hop than any other, and show the world the strength and vibrance of Frankie’s legacy.
A one, a two, you know what to do!
With Love and Swingouts,