Since last week, the lindy hop community has been reeling from revelations that well-known dance instructor Steven Mitchell has been sexually abusive to multiple women (including some teens) over the span of many, many years. We've been struggling to find some light in the midst of the darkness.
From that context, a bunch of us got together and held this impromptu online conversation, featuring some of the most active online voices in the lindy hop community. I was very pleased to be in the company of some very smart, compassionate, awesome people for this hour long conversation.
The participants included:
- Bobby White of Swungover
- Gina Helfrich of Dance with Gina
- Jerry Almonte of Wandering and Pondering
- Manu Smith of Yehoodi.com
- Mikey Pedroza of The Little Brown Jug Show
- Nicole Zuckerman of Yehoodi.com / SwingNation
- Rebecca Brightly of Dance World Takeover
- and myself, Rik Panganiban of Yehoodi.com
Here's hoping it helps people find a positive way forward for everyone.