4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste if desired
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 zucchini, about 1/2 pound, ends trimmed
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
½ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Put chicken pieces in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper.
- Trim off the ends of the zucchini and cut it into 12 rounds, each about 1/2-inch thick. Add zucchini and curry powder to the chicken and blend well with the fingers to coat the pieces evenly.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy skillet and add the chicken pieces in one layer. Scatter the zucchini rounds between the chicken pieces, preferably in one layer. Cook over moderately high heat until chicken pieces are nicely browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces and the zucchini rounds and cook over moderately low heat about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken pieces and zucchini rounds to a warm serving dish.
- Pour off the fat from the skillet and add the butter. Add shallots and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add broth and cook until reduced to about 1/3 cup. Add cream, stir and bring to a boil. Return chicken and zucchini pieces to the sauce and turn the pieces in the sauce. Cook about 2 minutes.