I just got notice from the MacArthur Foundation that they are sponsoring an event entitled "What are Kids Learning in Virtual Worlds?" happening on Wednesday, November 14th at 6PM PST. The discussion, taking place at the University of Southern California, will feature the following speakers:
- Julia Stasch, Vice President of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Anastasia Goodstein, Journalist/editor and author of Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online
- Doug Thomas, of the Annenberg School of Communication at USC and founding editor of Games & Culture: A Journal of Interactive Media
- Yasmin B. Kafai, Associate Professor at the UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
- Barry Joseph, Director of the Global Kids, Inc., Online Leadership Program
- Moderated by Jim Steyer, Founder and CEO of Common Sense Media, author of The Other Parent: The Inside Story of The Media’s Effect on our Children
No word on whether or not the event will be simulcast in Second Life or the web. But don’t be surprised if it is.