Here’s a yummy vegetarian recipe from my colleague Julianna , who was riffing on this one. I made some modifications and added some steps to my version.
- Olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, halved and scored
- 1 cup walnuts / pecans, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- chili flakes (to taste)
- Soy sauce
- ¼ cup Mayo
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice / vinegar
- Split (long ways) and score an eggplant, salt and set aside for 20-30 minutes to sweat out moisture.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Pat dry eggplant with a paper towel. Roast eggplant flesh side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet for 20-30 minutes until flesh is tender.
- Roast walnuts or pecans in a low heat pan with 2 tsp olive oil. Add in mushrooms and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin & chili flakes. Splash in some soy sauce. Let cook on medium-low till mushrooms have softened.
- Make a fresh sauce using mayo, greek yogurt, garlic salt, olive oil, fresh pepper, lemon/lime/vinegar (whatever acidy thing you have) and mix.
- Plate eggplant. Top with the mushroom/nut mixture and add creamy sauce on top.