My favorite books I read in 2023:
- Light from Uncommon Stars, Ryka Aoki: This book broke me completely. I can’t imagine a more perfect scifi novel for me, combining music, aliens, demons, food, and Amer-Asian cultures so perfectly.
- The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman: Just a perfect fable for our times. Indescribably beautiful and sweet and dark.
- The World We Make, NK Jemisin: An awesome continuation of the City We Made, expanding the universe and fleshing out the characters we met in the previous book.
- Children of Ruin, Adrian Tchaikovsky: I didn’t think Tchaikovsky could top Children of Time. But this one totally broke my brain in the best possible way. Excited for the next one!
- Leviathan Falls, James Corey: A seriously WTF conclusion to one of the most incredible hard scifi series of all time. Totally sticks the landing.
- The Leviathan Series, Scott Westerfeld: This series was pure YA scifi, rip roaring adventure from beginning to end. Loved the combination of steampunk and bio-punk tropes.