This recipe works for any flavored whipped cream, of course. But I was preparing my famous ube pie, and figured out the best way to make an accompanying whipped cream.
1 cup heavy cream, chilled (put in freezer for 5 mins)
1/4 cup white granulated sugar (or less to taste)
1 teaspoon ube flavoring
1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 tbsp water
FYI, this is what the ube flavoring I got looks like. I found it at my local Chinese grocery store. If you can’t find this, you can substitute purple food coloring. It won’t have that ube flavor, but will look pretty!
- Put bowl and whisk into fridge for 15 minutes.
- Put 1 cup heavy cream in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Place cream and sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Combine gelatin with water, stir, then heat until the gelatin is completely dissolved (microwave for about 20 seconds). Pour gelatin into the whipped cream before it cools.
- Whisk the cream and dissolved gelatin on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon ube extract. Whisk for an additional 30 seconds.
- Chill whipped cream before serving.